[Commons-l] {{EXIFDATE}}

Magnus Manske magnusmanske at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 20 12:39:17 UTC 2007

For a tool that tries to fill in {{Information}} templates on commons
based on the current, unstructured text, I have it fill in the "Date"
parameter from the EXIF data of the image, if available.

I just thought: How about a new magic word, {{EXIFDATE}}, that would
extract EXIF data from the image? It could be used in {{Information}}
as a default in case no "Date" parameter is provided.

{{EXIFDATE}} would return blank on namespaces other than "Image:", of
course, and for files that have no EXIF data.

There could be {{EXIFTIME}} and {{EXIFTIMEDATE}} as well, but that
would be luxus :-)

Shouldn't be too costly for the parser (on image pages, image data
will be needed anyway).

Anyone opposed? Anyone willing to code? ;-)

Cheers,
Magnus