[Commons-l] WMI PicWik update

Magnus Manske magnusmanske at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 15 18:59:22 UTC 2007

On 8/15/07, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16/08/07, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 15/08/07, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > WMI = Wikimedia Israel, a chapter
> > > PicWik = "pictures for Wikimedia", internal name for their historical
> > > picture collecting project
> > >
> > > An English translation of the project spec is available at meta, who
> > > are interested to know more about it:
> > > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Free_image_collection_project
> >
> > Interesting indeed. Point 5 is promising - a content-flagging system.
> > Do you know what's planned for this? It seems like it might be more
> > broadly usable...
>
> I think that would only be part of the toolserver interface, sorry. :)
>
> IIRC Magnus started to put together something like a 'copyright
> flagging' interface. It would be very good to have that. (and as
> distinct from a quality rating property.)

I did? Really? Good to know ;-)

Well, I started a rating system, as described in your wikitech-l
wishlist, to allow any logged-in user to assign a rating 1-5 to any
image. This would not include a big red "evil" button, though one
could tick an image as "1" to express dismay...

I *did* develop a "tasks" extension a long time ago. It would allow
for a "bad content" flagging system, with sidebar/page top message.
However:
* after all the time it lay and rusted in the extensions directory,
I'm not sure if/how well it would work on the current MediaWiki
* it would be overkill to employ it as a simple flagging system. It
can do so much more.

Cheers,
Magnus