[Commons-l] All about Wikimania, future projects, licenses, etc etc

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 12 10:56:44 UTC 2007

Brianna Laugher wrote:
>> Note that I used the neat logo picture several times in talks, but fact
>> is, it is difficult to talk of a project one has never participated a
>> lot in, even if one think it is a great project.
>
> Does that mean the Board will only talk about projects they are
> directly involved in? That should be about 10 at most. That would be
> disappointing. :P

tssss

Dunno for others, but I try to nearly anytime put a shot of all projects
logos and quickly explain what each is about.

Once I did a presentation entirely about wikinews, but from my
perspective, it was not a good talk :-( In the first year, I was rather
regularly following the french wikinews, but not so well the english one.
I frequently talk about wikibooks and wikicommons. Several presentations
I did this spring were almost exclusively about wikibooks actually, with
a little bit of wikiversity. Mostly presentations focused on education.
Wikibooks and wikiversity raise a lot of attention.

I must admit I never really talked about wiktionary or wikisource, but
for a few words of presentation, mostly when talking to librarians.

I have next to no idea what is going on wikispecies. Sorry :-)

And I... well, though I use it pretty frequently, I usually do not talk
of wikiquote. I am aware that project is a legal spider nest in many
countries. If you remember, we got into troubles with a french database
on quote issues (the french wikiquote was basically a gigantic copy of
this database and they did not like that :-)). The french wikiquote was
since then restarted, with a good set of rules and much care from a few
editors. So I guess it is okay. But I still hardly dare saying much
about it publicly ;-) Maybe later.

But seriously Brianna, what is especially tricky is that in any
presentation one does, there is always at least one very involved
wikipedian. So, not only is that hard to "surprise" him, but he can spot
mistakes ;-)
What would be real cool would be to try to keep a written state of each
project, what is hot, what is working, what is not working, technical
wish list, biggest issues, big figures etc....  so that all participants
could "follow" what is going on. I know all this is actually available,
but only in a very dispersed manner, so not so easy to find out.

ant