[Commons-l] Polish money not covered by copyright

Ejdzej Wikipedysta ejdzej.wikipedysta at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 13:35:45 UTC 2007

2007/8/3, Uber Halogen <uberhalogen at googlemail.com>:
> IIRC one of the reasons money was removed is because even if the money
> is not copyrighted there all still 'unfree' restrictions imposed upon
> it. For example if you printed it out you could probably get
> prosecuted.

Well, if you print one of those:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Bills_of_the_United_States

you get in trouble too :)

As I remember, main reason for Polish money was that National Bank of
Poland states, they are copyrighted:
http://www.nbp.pl/home.aspx?f=disclaimer_banknoty.htm

According to analysis in Rzeczpospolita, NBP is wrong.

"Unfree restrictions" on money are IMHO similar to restrictions of
personal identity, trademark, etc. If copyright restriction is invalid
in this case, we could handle non-copyright restrictions by putting
warning template.

--
Wikipedysta:A.J.