[Commons-l] InstantCommons demo

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 20:05:13 UTC 2007

On 4/1/07, Daniel Kinzler <daniel at brightbyte.de> wrote:
> Linking back to the original page is essential, of course. Also, links to the
> uploader's user page (and also the author's page, if different) have to work to
> fulfill the attribution requirement. (I can check if they do, the demo site
> appears to be down).

Uploaders page is often not the copyright holder. My view is that it
should translucde the page text like commons wiki does on the other
projects, and correctly fix up all the links.

> But most importantly: what happens if an image is deleted from commons? Does it
> vanish from the sites using it via InstantCommons? Or does it just stay? That
> would not be good legally...

Image revocation is a must solve feature before we could activate it
on commons.  Part of the reason that we don't get in deep-crap with
more copyright holders is that when they contact us we make the file
go bye-bye quickly.   If many other sites are invisibly and
automatically mirroring commons content without human oversight and
ignoring our deletions, then this kills our ability to effectively
take down infringements and keep copyright holders happy.

> Ideally, the image would be replaced by a warning icons, and local admins can
> decide if they want to delete, or "really" import their cached copy, and take
> responsibility.

It would be in our interest to block access to sites which continue to
distribute copyright infringements which we have deleted.