[Commons-l] InstantCommons demo

Daniel Kinzler daniel at brightbyte.de
Sun Apr 1 19:16:44 UTC 2007

Brianna Laugher wrote:
> What this does: Allows any MediaWiki installation to transparently
> load (and cache) images from a central repository like Commons,
> provided the repository permits it.

Cool! I have been waiting for something like that for quite a while.

> It doesn't seem to create a log entry for the 'borrowed' images, but
> still creates image page s for them (but doesn't link to the source in
> any way, which is a bit weird).
> probably wiki admins would like to know which images have been 'borrowed'.

Linking back to the original page is essential, of course. Also, links to the
uploader's user page (and also the author's page, if different) have to work to
fulfill the attribution requirement. (I can check if they do, the demo site
appears to be down).

But most importantly: what happens if an image is deleted from commons? Does it
vanish from the sites using it via InstantCommons? Or does it just stay? That
would not be good legally...

Ideally, the image would be replaced by a warning icons, and local admins can
decide if they want to delete, or "really" import their cached copy, and take
responsibility.

> No idea why Erik didn't post here as well, as if we're not interested  :)

Well, maybe he'll tell us :)

-- Daniel