[Commons-l] Image donations?

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 22:25:17 UTC 2006

On 6/20/06, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> * Please enforce the user to pick a better name than the default one.
> We have more than enough D23435646 and IMG345456456 and QZ23545657
> image names already.

If we use a FlickrLickr-like process, the renaming can be done as part
of the review process. FlickrLickr already does a check on the
filenames from Flickr, and if they match a simple regular expression
like this, it forces the reviewer to rename the file.

> * Please ONLY allow this option: "I am the creator of this image, and
> hold its copyright." The other option will be such a pain and near
> impossible to verify, and trust me, there will be enough problems with
> their own work.

I tend to disagree here, but an e-mail address should be required if
this option is selected.

> I think we should limit uploads to something like 2 per person per
> day.

This depends really on whether images go directly to Commons, or
through a review process. If they go through a review process first,
someone uploading hundreds of images wouldn't be a problem. We would
just have to explain to users that becoming part of the community is
the best way to contribute.

> * Also categories... suggest five (somehow) based on their description
> text & CommonSense and get them to pick the most relevant, or just
> leave it up to the reviewers?

The point shouldn't be to clone the upload UI we have, but to provide
a simplified process for people who don't know how to use Commons,
something which we can advertise widely and broadly. Again, with a
review process, the categories can be handled by the reviewers.

Erik