[Commons-l] some updated statistics

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 10:07:35 UTC 2006

[[Category:against policy]] has less than 600 items! (from 1000)

[[Category:Unknown - March 2006]] is gone! (from 1000)

[[Category:Unknown - April 2006]] is gone! (from 1400)

[[Category:Unknown - May 2006]] is gone! (from 2800)

[[Category:Unknown - June 2006]] has less than 2000 items!

[[Category:Images with unknown source as of unknown date 2006]] has
around 4000 items (last time I wrote statistics, these images were in
[[Category:Unknown - June 2006]])

[[Category:Incomplete license]] has less than 400 items. (from >400)

[[Category:Images with no copyright tag]] has less than 400 items (from 500).

[[Category:Duplicate]] has less than 800 items (the same).

[[Template:Delete]] links to ~ 2050 pages. About the same.

Just at a rough guess, there are probably still about 200 items listed on
[[Commons:Deletion requests]].

Thanks to everyone who responded to my deletion push - (obviously we
still have some way to go) - especially Magnus, Essjay, Brion, also
Grön, Samulili and Jon Harald Søby who have nominated themselves for
adminship (haha - the first time I wrote "deletion" ;)), and also any
admins who have quietly but steadily been deleting (I don't check the
deletion log that often).

So, the two next biggish problems I see are (A) why are there 2000
links to [[template:delete]]?? and (B) what can we do to make
[[COM:DEL]] more managable?

For (A), it is probably not too hard. Here is a list of RDRs to
[[template:delete]]: (all in the template namespace)
vfd
deletionrequest
del
destruir
apagar
ifd
dr
Image-Bigfoto (pretty sure this is a mistake, so don't include it)
ek
deletion request

* Check all the images that have one of these tags. Check to see if
the image is linked to on any of the pages in
{{Special:Prefixindex/Commons:Deletion requests}}. If it is, put it on
a list to be checked manually (did they forget to remove the tag, or
forget to delete the image?). If it isn't, remove the tag with an edit
summary 'removing delete tag, no entry at [[Commons:Deletion
requests]] - see [[Commons:Deletion guidelines]] for speedy tags &
guidelines'

For (B), probably (sadly) it cannot be solved by a bot, but by clearer
guidelines on how to request deletion (still sees a lot of misplaced
requests) and, I dunno, maybe splitting the page up into different
days or reasons or something...still not sure on that one.

Another write-me-some-code request:
for any image in [[category:duplicate]], where the replacement image
has a different file extension, remove {{duplicate|Image:...}} and
replace with {{superseded|Image:...}} (if it's not already there) with
edit summary '{{duplicate}} is only for exactly identical images,
please don't use it for different file types, they cannot be
identical'.
I am happy to run a script that does this, since it might well cop some flak. :)

Thank you code monkeys and everyone else with wonderful ideas and a
willingness to improve the Commons :)

Brianna