[Commons-l] justifying the "no NC/ND" requirement

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 11:16:27 UTC 2006

Does anyone have a really succint, persuasive argument for this? I
understand it and accept it, but I find it hard to respond to users
who say, "Silly me, I thought we were building an encyclopedia here"
and think that "educational/non-commercial purposes only" should be
OK. Saying "Well, we might want to sell a DVD one day" sounds a bit
weak. As does "We also building a totally free stock photography
database". It's not hard to feel gypped when we should be serving WM
projects first and foremost (and at the moment I doubt there's much
outside use, but it's hard to tell).

So... anyone have a killer response that will instantly make a user
see why this requirement is necessary?

cheers,
Brianna ([[commons:User:pfctdayelise]])

--
"Mathematicians do it with Nobel's wife."