[Wikimedia Chapters Reports] Chapters report WMSE August 2010

Jan Ainali jan.ainali at wikimedia.se
Wed Sep 1 16:19:59 UTC 2010

This is the chapters report for Wikimedia Sverige in August 2010.

== Image donation ==
The Swedish Left party, Vänsterpartiet, donated 104 high resolution images
on their candidates for the upcoming election in September. [1]

== Photo hunts ==

=== Skånesafari ===
After our great response on the photo hunt in June, people got inspired and
arranged another one, this time in the Southern part of Sweden, Skåne. [2]
Wikimedia Sverige will cover travel expenses up to €300. Pictures are being
uploaded to this category on Commons. [3]

=== Bergslagssafari (again) ===
Since our last report on this photo hunt another 185 images has been
uploaded, now totaling 462 images. [4] 4 has been promoted to Quality Images
so far. [5]

== Toolserver tools ==
There are two new useful tools on the toolserver. One for getting the page
hits for all articles (on all projects) that has an image from a specified
category on Commons. [6] The other one gives all page hits for all articles
in a specified category on a specified Wikipedia version. [7] We believe
these can be helpful for all chapters that are working with GLAM
organizations. Both thanks to User:Prolineserver, a WMSE member.

== Board meeting ==
We had one board meeting in August, minutes are available in Swedish. [8]
One important outcome of this meeting was that Axel Pettersson was elected
to replace Johanna Henriksson who stepped down earlier this summer on
personal reasons. Axel is also the new press contact for the Swedish
Wikipedia, appointed by the community.

== In the media ==
A journalist, Adam Svanell, in Sweden's third largest newspaper wrote an
article about how easy it is to fake something on Wikipedia. [9] He wrote
the article about himself and gradually exaggerated it over time. In his
article he says that he is surprised no one corrected it. Stats.grok.se will
tell you it was not such a big surprise nobody noticed it. [10] Our chair,
Lennart Guldbrandsson blogged about the journalist's methods and the facts
that were wrong [11] which generated more media. [12]

== Numbers ==
Sorani Wikipedia (ckb) passed 2000 articles. Although not an official
language in Sweden, most of the traffic to this Wikipedia comes from Sweden.
[13]