[Wikimedia Chapters Reports] Wikimedia Hungary report for August 2010

Bence Damokos bence.damokos at wiki.media.hu
Tue Aug 31 22:49:17 UTC 2010

Hi,
After a longer hiatus, the latest report on the activities of
Wikimedia Hungary has been published on Meta at:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_chapters/Reports/Wikim%C3%A9dia_Magyarorsz%C3%A1g/August_2010.
For your convenience, it is reproduced below.
Best regards,
Bence Damokos,
Wikimedia Hungary

==Meetings==

===WikiCamp===

Between 5 and 8 August we organized a camp[1] for Wikipedians in
Nagykanizsa, a small town in southwestern Hungary. The four day
meeting saw about sixteen participants visiting nearby nature parks,
reserves and towns and also playing Wikipedia quizzes and video clips,
as well as listening to lectures on Wikipedia and the chapters.

The camp was the first multi-day Wikimedia event to take place in
Hungary, supplementing a long tradition of at least quarterly
Wikipedia meetups[2] in different parts of the country.

Given the positive feedback, if there is interest from the community
to organize a WikiCamp 2011, we plan to support it as well.

===Conference organization===

On 28 August there was a meeting about the ongoing organization of a
Wikipedia conference to be held on the 15th of January 2011 aimed at
the educational sector.

==Book contest==

We started a contest[3] on the Hungarian Wikipedia with the aim to
create community books from the topic of the encyclopedia. We hope
that the outcome can serve as a good step to identify featureable
topic categories. The winners will get their entries in the form of a
PediaPress book and Wikimedia Hungary will use the best books in its
regular activities in promoting and showcasing Wikipedia.

To help the contest we created a tutorial video[4] about the book
creation tool, and the corresponding help page[5] has also been
updated.

==Grants==

===Council of Hungarian Internet Providers===
The Hungarian Council of Hungarian Internet Providers has provided
Wikimedia Hungary with a HUF 4.7 million ($ 21 300) grant to set up
and maintain a server. We are in the process of obtaining quotes for
this server that would serve as a mini toolserver (running resource
intensive analytics programs, such as WikiTrust; test environments for
MediaWiki extensions; bots and user scripts; and generally being
available to the local user and research community and serving the
chapter’s general needs for a server.)

===Wikimedia Foundation grants===

The five grant submissions of Wikimedia Hungary for the fiscal year
2010-2011 have all been approved and the grant has now been
transferred into our accounts.

Our aim is to buy promotional supplies, projecting equipment, organize
a conference on the 10th anniversary of Wikipedia, run a number of
photo contests, and to produce a number of tutorial videos for
Wikipedia. You can read about the individual grants in detail on
Meta-Wiki.[6]

The total value of the grants is $6250 – we appreciate the support of
the Wikimedia Foundation.

===National Civil Fund===

Our grant application to the National Civil Fund to help provide
scholarships for Wikimania has succeeded and we have won HUF 248 000
($1100) out of the requested HUF 330 000. Unfortunately, the news came
after the event and we were unable to utilize it to its potential. We
estimate that the total amount we can spend from this grant (and
reimburse to the participants of Wikimania) will be about HUF 70 000.

On a brighter note, we received HUF 200 000 ($900) from the National
Civil Fund to cover some of our administrative and operating expenses.

==Media==

Our WikiCamp event was featured in Kanizsa TV[6], the local TV of
Nagykanizsa and our president gave an interview emphasizing the
importance of face-to-face meetings. The camp was also featured in the
Wikimedia Foundation blog.[7]

===Social Media===

You can now find us on Twitter(and occasionally on Identi.ca) at
@WikimediaHU[8], as well as Facebook[9]. We also maintain the Facebook
page for the Hungarian Wikipedia[10] and have a blog.[11]

==GLAM-relations==

We have established contact with a group of librarians who want to
start an initiative to systematically improve Wikipedia content on the
topics they find important. A tentative meeting has been scheduled
with them for the end of September.

[1]   http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Magyar_wikip%C3%A9distatal%C3%A1lkoz%C3%B3k/Wikit%C3%A1bor/2010
[2]   http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Magyar_wikip%C3%A9distatal%C3%A1lkoz%C3%B3k
[3]   http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Wikim%C3%A9dia_Magyarorsz%C3%A1g/K%C3%B6nyvk%C3%A9sz%C3%ADt%C5%91_vet%C3%A9lked%C5%91