[Advocacy Advisors] Fwd: [Internal-l] Israeli Government to Release its images under a free license for public use

Luis Villa lvilla at wikimedia.org
Tue May 27 12:56:17 UTC 2014

Thanks, Itzik! I think it would be great if we had a page on meta to
collect/list successes like these, and share some suggestions on how they
were accomplished. I'm on vacation but if no one else has picked it up by
the time I get back I'll try to get it started.

luis

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 1:33 PM, Itzik Edri <itzik at infra.co.il> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> About a year and half ago we shared WMIL's legal achievement. As many new
> people came and joined us, and as I figured out from the ChapConf that many
> don't know about this advocacy case, I'm sharing it again :)
>
> you can read more about that on some English press:
> * Wikimedia Blog:
> http://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/12/19/wikimedia-chapter-wins-victory-for-free-licenses-in-israel/
> * L.A Times:
> http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2012/02/israel-opens-national-photo-archive.html
>  * https://netzpolitik.org/2012/israelische-regierung-staatliche-werk/
>

> Itzik

> Hi all,
> I am very proud to announce that Wikimedia Israel just won one of its main
> struggles. The Israeli government has announced[1] that all imaged in which
> the state is the copyrights holder and that were uploaded to the
> government's websites can be freely used with the following restrictions:
> 1. The image will be attributed to the state of Israel (or the relevant
> office)
> 2. The user cannot change the license (Share-alike)
> 3. No derivative work.
> 4. Each office will create a policy about commercial use (i.e., commercial
> use is allowed, unless otherwise specified).
>
> Wikimedia Israel has pushed for this change since 2010, when MK Meir
> Sheetrit proposed an amendment for the Israeli copyright act. The chapter
> pushed for the acceptance of this amendment by the Knesset (the Israeli
> parliament). During this time, we were able to make a complete shift in the
> paradigms employed by the government and government officials. From being
> strong opposers to the bill, they become adopters of the changes, thus
> making the bill itself, redundant.
>
> Now, a new struggle begins - Wikimedia Israel will work to remove the ND
> clause from the decision, and will make sure that all government offices
> publish their policy as required. Nonetheless, this is still a huge
> achievement, the government has accepted the importance of free culture in
> modern world.
>
> On a personal note, as the leader of this project, I wish to send my many
> thanks to all of those who made this miracle happen. A special thanks is
> due to the great people of the Israeli Internet society, the (just as
> great) people of Creative commons Israel, Adv. Jonathan Klinger, Mathias
> Schindler, the awsome volunteers of Wikimedia Israel and the editors of
> Hebrew Wikipedia. If there's anyone I forgot by name - my apologies, I'm
> still terribly excited of these news.
>
> If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here or send me a private
> email,
> Tomer Ashur
> Chairman
> Wikimedia Israel
>
> [1] http://www.pmo.gov.il/Secretary/GovDecisions/2012/Pages/des5268.aspx

Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext. 6810

*This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*