[Advocacy Advisors] Meta discussion: European Commission public consultation on copyright

Stephen LaPorte slaporte at wikimedia.org
Tue Dec 17 02:22:58 UTC 2013

Hello advocacy advisory group,

Here is a thought: let's collaboratively draft a public response on wiki.
We can use the resulting page as the Wikimedia Foundation's submission to
the consultation, or as a reference point for other interested groups. To
get started, Dashiell posted the EC's questions on Meta, here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/European_Commission_copyright_consultation

The submission deadline is February 5, 2014, so if we intend to respond, we
should start finalizing our submission on January 27, 2014. The process
here is experimental, so feel free to discuss process on the list or the
corresponding talk page.

This may be an important opportunity for us to influence the future of
copyright law (and free knowledge), so I am interested in hearing your
perspective.

Best,
Stephen

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Stevie Benton <
stevie.benton at wikimedia.org.uk> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Thought you might like to know that the European Commission has just
> opened a public consultation on copyright.
>
> http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-13-1213_en.htm
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Stevie
>
> --
>
> Stevie Benton
> Communications Organiser
> Wikimedia UK+44 (0) 20 7065 0993 / +44 (0) 7803 505 173
> @StevieBenton
>
> Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513. Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).
>
> *Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.*

Stephen LaPorte
Legal Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation

*For legal reasons, I may only serve as an attorney for the Wikimedia
Foundation. This means I may not give legal advice to or serve as a lawyer
for community members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal
capacity.*