[Advocacy Advisors] National Security Letters served on individuals

Luis Villa lvilla at wikimedia.org
Mon Aug 5 02:24:17 UTC 2013

On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 6:55 PM, James Salsman <jsalsman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Luis,
>
> Thank you for your very thoughtful reply. I am far more interested in
> preventing our readers from investigation because of their whims
> of curiosity than in frustrating the NSA or alerting the community to
> surveillance.

I suppose that's what I eventually meant by "frustrate" the NSA; i.e.,
frustrate their purpose - sorry for the lack of clarity. Most likely,
trying to game the system with something like this won't work - you really
need to either press for new legislation or fight the request in the court
system.

> Are Foundation employees served as individuals allowed to talk to you
> about them? If so, are you allowed to talk with your colleagues in the
> legal department about the letters?

They're allowed to talk to their legal representatives; as employees,
that's us. Realistically, in this sort of situation they'd probably go
directly to Geoff; exactly how far he'd share with the rest of the team
would probably depend on the circumstances. It's entirely possible he'd
share only with outside counsel, but he might inform one or two other team
members to manage the case as well.

Luis

Luis